The coveted city status has been awarded in eight locations across Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the first overseas territory.
The Cabinet Office has also named Bangor in Northern Ireland, as well as Colchester, Doncaster and Milton Keynes in England.
Dunfermline in Scotland, Wrexham in Wales were also named in the list and Stanley in the Falkland Islands became the first overseas territory to win civic honour.
Welcome to the world, IHG One Rewards. Meet your family: a community of travelers who live to explore on their own.
Earn points faster and get the benefits that matter most to you. There’s no one right way to travel, but there’s a loyalty program that rewards everything.
— IHG Hotels & Resorts (@IHGhotels) April 13, 2022
These eight places are “what makes Britain great”, according to the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Steve Barclay.
“From Doncaster to Dunfermline, each new town offers a wide range of exciting activities and experiences for all travellers. From trying to crack the codes at Bletchley Park, to stepping back into history at Dunfermline Abbey or admiring nature at Beth Chatto’s Plants & Gardens and Yorkshire Wildlife Park – there are many reasons to visit these towns,” said a spokesperson for IHG Hotels and Resorts.
Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express offer you excellent value for money.
You get full service at the Holiday Inn, which caters to families looking for a place to unwind.
Meanwhile, Holiday Inn Express is ideal for guests looking to recharge their batteries and get some work done in a comfortable environment.
You can even join IHG One Rewards for exclusive benefits including member-only discounted rates, earn points for reward nights with no blackout dates, and the late check-out option.
Explore the New Jubilee Cities with IHG Hotels and Resorts
Where to stay: Holiday Inn Milton Keynes
The advantages of the hotel: Located in the heart of the city centre, the hotel has recently undergone a spectacular renovation.
It has also introduced a brand new restaurant – Marco’s New York Italian – for your dining pleasure.
The hotel also benefits from conference rooms, a health club, a fitness center and an indoor swimming pool.
Kids can also stay and eat for free, so it’s the perfect place to take them on a budget break.
Activities near Milton Keynes that you should put on your bucket list:
- Bletchley Park – where families can explore Britain’s former WWII decryption center
- Snozone – the largest real indoor snow station in Europe
- Milton Keynes Theater – the largest theater in MK, currently showing the Northern-Ballet – The Great Gatsby, Cluedo and more
- The Silverstone Interactive Museum – Museum of modern motorsport with immersive shows, tech exhibits and replica vintage race cars
- Gulliver’s Land Theme Park & Resort – designed for families with rides and games to enjoy
- Aqua Parcs – an amusement park with inflatable obstacles and slides floating on Lake Willen
Book a stay at the Holiday Inn Milton Keynes.
Where to stay: Holiday Inn Express Dunfermline
Minutes from the M90, it is just 18 miles from Scotland’s capital and has a prime location for exploring Fife Town and the region’s stunning coastal towns.
You can get your breakfast included and Free parking available.
If you need to work while you’re away, the hotel can accommodate up to 25 people in a meeting room.
Activities near Dunfermline that you should put on your bucket list:
- St. Andrew’s Golf Course and Beaches – lovely places to play sports, walk or just relax and take in the views (less than an hour’s drive from the hotel)
- Dunfermline Palace & Abbey – where families can trace 700 years of town history
- Deep Sea World – an aquarium that houses a collection of large sand tiger sharks
- Knockhill Racing Circuit – a motor racing track that offers rally driving and go-kart experiences
- Alhambra Theater – hosts entertainment ranging from international dance to musicals, theater and panto
Book a stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dunfermline.
Where to stay: Holiday Inn Colchester
Benefits of the hotel: This modern Colchester hotel has free parking and free Wi-Fi for all your browsing needs.
You can enjoy casual dining in the barn-style Traders Bar & Grill, and kids can stay and eat free.
The You Fit Health Club also includes a gym, indoor pool, sauna and steam rooms. Beauty treatments are even offered to help you relax.
It has direct access to London and Ipswich, located just off the A12 and only 10 minutes drive from historic Colchester.
Things to do near Colchester to put on your bucket list:
- Colchester Zoo – home to many rare and endangered species including big cats, primates, birds and many species of invertebrates and fish (less than 10 mins drive from the hotel)
- Clacton-on-Sea and West Mersea beaches – for building sand castles or swimming in the sea (30 mins drive from hotel)
- Dedham Vale in Constable Country – a lowland landscape, straddling the River Stour, which inspired the world famous English landscape artists Constable and Gainsborough
- Freeport Braintree – a mall with a mix of high street and local shops to explore
- Beth Chatto’s Plants & Gardens – world-renowned gardens and extensive plant nursery created by an award-winning gardener
Book a stay at the Holiday Inn Colchester.
Where to stay: Holiday Inn Express Doncaster
Benefits of the hotel: In addition to free Wi-Fi, this modern and stylish hotel is located just 5 km from the city center and includes free parking.
Accommodate up to 40 people in a meeting room where you can order catered lunches, sandwiches and fries from the full hot buffet.
Guests can also get an included Express Start buffet breakfast in the Great Room restaurant, and all dogs are welcome too.
Things to do near Doncaster to put on your to-do list:
- Doncaster Rovers’ Keepmoat Stadium – where football fans can be joined to watch the latest matches
- Doncaster Racecourse – hosts two of Britain’s 36 annual Group 1 flat races, the St Leger Stakes and the Racing Post Trophy
- The Lakeside Village Outlet Mall – for a bit of shopping (less than a mile from the hotel)
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park – a conservation and rehabilitation centre, the UK’s No.1 wildlife adventure!
- The Vulcan Experience – to educate and inform visitors about the history of The Vulcan, the Cold War and the RAF’s V-Force and V-Bomber stations
- Cusworth Hall – a jewel in Doncaster’s crown, a magnificent Grade I listed building set in acres of historic parkland
Book a stay at the Holiday Inn Express Doncaster.