Holiday inn

Holiday Inn Turns Down Family Seeking ‘Emergency Accommodation’ After Leaving ‘Dangerous’ Home

A young Rochdale family who were forced to leave their “dangerous” home say they have “nowhere to go” after being turned away by a Holiday Inn in Manchester.

Rhea Spence, 27, fiance Callum Armstrong, 29, and their three children, Skyla, six, Mila, five, and Monaia, two, were forced to leave their Middleton home for four days after a new kitchen revealed numerous electrical issues inside the property.

Rhea claims they were originally booked at the Holiday Inn on Oldham Road, but were turned away around 10 p.m. after the hotel said it hadn’t taken a “case emergency council “.

READ MORE Teenager raped 12-year-old girl he met via Snapchat – then told her he would make people “do stuff” to him if she told someone

The mother of two said the stay was booked through the Riverside Housing Association.

After the family was turned away, Rhea’s future father-in-law paid to stay at the Village Hotel in Bury for four nights.



Keep up to date with the best stories about life in Rochdale and the surrounding area with the free MyRochdale newsletter.

The MyRochdale newsletter comes out weekly on Thursdays with a selection of our most popular articles, including the latest on the pandemic and how Rochdale comes out of lockdown.

To subscribe to the MyRochdale newsletter, simply click on this link, enter your email address and check the “MyRochdale News” box.

Their home, on Helvellyn Drive, Middleton, is owned by Riverside Housing and has been deemed unsafe by their kitchen contractor.

Rhea, now back home after four nights at the hotel, said: “In mid-September we had a new kitchen installer, who put all the new electrical appliances in the kitchen.

“Since I got the new kitchen I have had many issues with the electricity in my property – many appliances that have now failed in the last two or two and a half weeks due to a problem. with electricity. “



The Holiday Inn, Oldham Road, Manchester

She says electrical problems caused two microwaves and a kettle to break.

She added: “My whole family was left in emergency accommodation as my property is considered unsafe and at risk of fire and electric shock.

“We have no heating and I have small children.

“When we got there we were turned away by the hotel and told that they were not taking council emergencies.

“It was 9:45 p.m., when the kids needed to be warm and in bed – we now had nowhere to go with three children at nearly 10 p.m. at night, because we didn’t have a home to go back to because that is considered dangerous.

“We had no problem before fitting out the new kitchen and we have lived there for five years.

“I have anxiety and recently stopped taking my meds because I was working on it, but it has skyrocketed them.

“I just want to be off the property – now I feel it’s dangerous.”

Repairs to address the property’s electrical problem have meant the front garden has been dug up and is now left in a ‘mess’, with Rhea losing £ 300 in fridge and freezer purchases as electricity has gone. been cut.

Joanne Scarlett, Riverside’s Strategy and Asset Delivery Manager for the North of England, said: “I am extremely sorry to learn of the issues Rhea and her family have had with replacing their kitchen and the further processing of their complaint.

“The work was carried out on our behalf by an experienced contractor and we were assured that it had been completed.

“However, it is clear that there have been problems and therefore we have suspended all work of the contractor pending a quality assurance investigation.

“This left Rhea and her family in need of temporary housing and, once again, they ran into problems. We also responded inefficiently to his complaint about the issue.

“We will contact her directly to apologize as it is clear that we have caused additional frustration in our handling of the issue. She is right to point out that she should be reimbursed for all costs incurred as a result.

“We are in regular contact with her and are in the process of making arrangements for it.

“There are many lessons to be learned from this business and I will be taking them up with my team and other teams across the company as a matter of urgency. “

A Holiday Inn spokesperson declined to comment on the incident, saying, “We are unable to comment on individual bookings due to guest privacy.”

Subscribe to MEN newsletters to get the latest sports news, news, current affairs and more by following this link


Source link