It’s still time! It’s time to light up our homes, prune our trees, light the fireplaces and drink cocoa to celebrate the most magical time of the year. To make your holidays happier and brighter, the Central Chamber of Commerce of Aroostook is holding its 32sd Annual holiday parade on December 4 at 6 p.m. The University of Maine at Presque Isle is hosting the lineup and the parade will end at North Street. We would like to warmly thank Versant Power for sponsoring this exciting parade! The judges’ stand and announcers will be in front of Gary’s Furniture and Appliance.
This year, the parking lot at the corner of Cedar and Main streets as well as the former grounds of the Carroll’s Auto Sales and Services recreation center will be reserved for seniors and / or people with disabilities and their caregivers. This area will be signposted and a parking attendant will be available to help on Saturday.
Many merchants in downtown Presque Isle will be opening their doors for families to enjoy additional activities before, during and after the parade.
Here is what will be offered to you:
- Hub Coffee is organizing a UMPI Fun Run at Hub Coffee. Presque Isle City Council has authorized the closure of Main Street at 5:30 pm Be prepared to cheer on participating runners! Then enjoy a cup of cocoa at Café Hub during the parade.
- It’s donation season! Please plan to pack non-perishable food for Feed the County as Dixie Lee Shaw reprise her role as Dorothy from Wizard Oz. You will want to dance with her by donating to a very worthy cause.
- The Hardings law firm will host its annual open house with hot and cold drinks and refreshments.
- At Ignite PI / Northeastland, starting December 1, kids can bring their letter to Santa and drop it in his mailbox. Make sure the name and address are on the letter so Santa knows where to bring the gifts on Christmas Eve. On the day of the parade, they will organize a donation tree. Stop to hang your ornament on the tree and make a wish and receive a treat, enjoy hot chocolate or apple cider from 2 o’clock. At 7 am, enjoy a drink from the cash bar and some refreshments.
- Local merchants will serve hot chocolate.
- Neighborhood Books provides hot chocolate and will have Sweet Pine Cookie Company in their store selling sugar cookies. They will be open from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Glass with Class will host a Grinch and Santa glass workshop at 10 a.m. and at 2 a Beyond Painting workshop of a tree or a wreath. Pre-registration is required for both courses. The boutique will be open until 5 on the evening of the 4e.
- Cook Florist will be holding a Gnome class at 1 and a How to Create a Centerpiece class at 2.
- Presque Isle Inn and Convention Center will open Time Out Sport Bar to Wally and Virginians at 9 p.m.
Special thanks to the local businesses who chose to keep their doors open to spice up the evening by providing additional treats for the public. This list is not exhaustive, so contact your preferred merchant for more details.
Mark your calendars to attend the annual House Holiday Craft Fair on December 4-5, located at Old Kmart at Aroostook Mall. The hours of this fair of more than 80 different artisans are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday. There’s also the option to walk through the mall and visit the stores along the way and celebrate the annual St. Apollonia Dental Clinic Tree Festival at the former Sears location, which is still a magical treat!
Light up the center of Aroostook! will be back this year. Twelve prizes are awarded up to $ 300. Registering with the Chamber ensures that your address will be shown on a map and qualifies the candidate to be judged by our panel of judges and will receive a sign on the lawn, so people know you are entering the competition. Residents can post their decorations on social media using the hashtag #CACCLights so those locked in can enjoy your festive presentation.
The judging schedule is as follows:
- December 13 Presque Isle
- December 14 Washburn, Wade, Perham, Caribou, Stockholm, Connor
- December 15 Fort Fairfield, Easton, Mars Hill, Blaine, Westfield
- December 16th All unrated entries we left for review
The winners will be announced on Monday, December 20.
To register for Light Up Central Aroostook! or for more information, visit www.CentralAroostookChamber.com or call 207-764-6561.
The Central Aroostook Chamber of Commerce is pleased to serve our business community and the citizens of our communities. We wish you lots of joy this holiday season! Shine brighter than ever!