Holiday inn

M6 Holiday Inn fire: firefighters reveal how devastating hell has spread so quickly

A fire department review of a devastating blaze that ravaged a Walsall hotel found that a lack of sprinklers inside “could have had a dramatic impact on the bottom line.”

Firefighters who were sent inside the Holiday Inn on the M6 ​​in August 2019 had to be pulled out due to the danger of the roof collapsing, the West Midlands Fire Department said.

And the fire spread so quickly due to the “building’s limited fire compartment,” as the spread of fire and smoke can be “restricted by dividing buildings into smaller sections or units separated by fire-resistant construction methods, ”the fire department added. .

Arson probe after two checks by medics in the Shrewsbury fire

Up to 50 firefighters witnessed the fierce blaze near Junction 10 on August 2. The fire started in the sauna but quickly engulfed the hotel, leaving crews unable to control the blaze.

Only rubble remains on the site after the fire-ravaged hotel was demolished.

Before the fire, firefighters recommended that the hotel install automatic fire extinguishers in the building, but they were never installed.

Fortunately, no one was hurt and all staff and guests were taken care of – but a number of wedding plans were left in tatters.

BrumWish 2021 aims to deliver thousands of Christmas gifts to young children in need across our city – the homeless, the vulnerable, children in care and children with little.

This year’s appeal is bigger and better than ever – as we’ve partnered with our # Toys4Birmingham partners including Thrive Together Birmingham, Birmingham Playcare Network, Edgbaston Foundation and Birmingham Forward Steps.

Are also involved Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Trust, Barnardo’s, Spurgeon Children’s Charity, The Springfield Project in Sparkhill, St Paul’s Community Development Trust and Your Local Pantry, which operates food centers in 12 locations across Birmingham and the Black Country.

Three days of giving, held at Edgbaston to receive new and nearly new gifts of gifts and books, are now over.

You can purchase a gift from Amazon’s #Brumwish Wishlist here.

You can also donate cash, which will go into a fund held by a charitable partner to be used to fill in any gaps or purchase specialized toys for children with additional needs. This is the link to donate.

A spokesperson for the West Midlands Fire Department said: ‘This was a significant incident. Fortunately, the hotel was successfully evacuated and no one was injured.

“Our crews arrived within four minutes of their mobilization. However, despite their assertive efforts, the fire spread much faster than expected and the building was destroyed.

“The firefighters who had been deployed inside had to be pulled out due to the speed with which the fire consumed the attic and the danger of the roof collapsing.

“Our fire safety officers had previously recommended that the building be sprinklered, in accordance with our fire authority’s position. However, the sprinklers were not installed and this could have had a dramatic impact on the bottom line.



The Holiday Inn

“Damage from the spread of fire and smoke can be limited by dividing buildings into smaller sections or units separated by fire-resistant construction methods. We believe that the fire started accidentally, in the sauna room, and that the building’s limited fire compartmentalization allowed it to spread so quickly.

“This incident underscores the importance for businesses of having up-to-date fire safety procedures and of their staff, guests and visitors familiarizing themselves with escape routes as a top priority.”

A spokesperson for IHG Hotels & Resorts said: “The former Holiday Inn Walsall was independently owned and operated under a franchise agreement at the time of the incident. A successful evacuation plan has been launched and we commend the emergency services for their actions.

Stay up to date with the latest in the area with our Black Country email updates.


Source link