BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The WKU Volleyball No.15 is set to open an eight-game homestand at EA Diddle Arena after opening the 2021 campaign with six straight road wins. The Hilltoppers will play three games over the weekend against Samford, Ole Miss and UT Martin at the Holiday Inn – University Plaza Hotel Invitational.
All three games will be streamed for free on Facebook Live via the Hilltopper Sports Satellite Network (HSSN) Facebook page with Brett williams On call. Matches will also be available on CUSA.tv, Conference USA’s home for live events, for fans who choose to subscribe.
As is the case with every Hilltopper game this season, all of the action will also be available on ESPN 102.7 FM or ESPNRadio1027.com with Brett williams on the play-by-play call.
FULL TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
11 a.m. CT – WKU welcomes Samford (free admission)
1 p.m. CT – Ole Miss (H) vs. UT Martin (A) (free entry)
5 p.m. CT – UT Martin (H) vs. Samford (A) (free entry)
7 p.m. CT – WKU welcomes Ole Miss
11 a.m. CT – Samford (H) vs. Ole Miss (A) (free entry)
1:30 p.m. CT – WKU welcomes UT Martin
WKU will open the tournament against Samford on Friday morning at 11 a.m., marking the Tops’ third game against a team in the 2020 NCAA tournament in as many weekends. The teams have faced each other six times in the history of the program, with the Reds and Whites winning all six games. The most recent meeting was in 2019, when WKU won a 3-0 sweep at Bowling Green. In last year’s abridged season, Samford finished 15-4.
WKU will face Ole Miss on Friday at 7 p.m. from Diddle Arena for the first-ever reunion in program history. Ole Miss posted a 1-19 record last season, but has a new squad that posts a perfect 5-0 record at the start of the weekend.
The final match for the Rouge et Blanc of the weekend will be against UT Martin at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. The Skyhawks lead the all-time 9-5 streak with the most recent meeting dating back to 2015, when the Hilltoppers won a sweep.
WKU Volleyball have just finished a 3-0 weekend at the LUV Invitational, dropping just one set in three games for the second tournament in a row. The Hilltoppers got on with the business, beating Lipscomb Friday night 3-1, sweeping Kansas on Saturday morning and beating Wake Forest in three sets to close the game on Saturday. WKU’s pair of Power Five sweeps on Saturday was the first such outing in the program’s history.
Flexible membership packages are on sale now and include 13 vouchers that fans can redeem at any regular season home game however they choose. Fans can opt for the traditional use of a single ticket for all 13 home matches or bring a group to a few matches. Flexible ticket packages are available for $ 50 at WKUTickets.com, by calling 1-800-5-BIGRED, or by going to the WKU box office during regular business hours.
Single tickets are available at the door on game day or online during the week of each game.
- WKU opened the season for just the fourth time in program history during the fall 2021 campaign, also marking the first time the team will do so in consecutive campaigns. The Hilltoppers arrived at No.25 to start the 2020-21 spring season. In 2013, WKU was first ranked in the AVCA Preseason poll, arriving at No.21 before securing 22nd place heading into the 2016 season.
- WKU ranks # 15 in the latest AVCA Coaches poll – the highest ranking in program history for the second week in a row and one up from the 2021 preseason poll. The Hilltoppers have now been ranked in 10 of the past 11 seasons and have received votes for 12 consecutive campaigns.
- Due to last season’s move to spring, WKU’s 124-day offseason marked the shortest offseason in program history.
- WKU President Dr Timothy C. Caboni welcomed faculty and staff for a convocation to kick off the 2021-22 school year on August 16 where he would reward the head coach Travis Hudson the Spirit of WKU Award. The Spirit of WKU Award is presented to an individual who represents enthusiasm for WKU, loyalty to the institution and the principles of the WKU experience and its motto “The Spirit Makes the Master”. Hudson was also inducted into the prestigious WKU Hall of Distinguished Alumni in October 2020.
- WKU Volleyball is more accessible than ever with radio broadcasts for every game. The Tops are one of 10 Division I volleyball programs that currently have live radio for home and away games.
- Since joining Conference USA prior to the 2014 campaign, WKU Volleyball is now 17-12 against opponents from Power 5. The Hilltoppers have won their first three opportunities against teams from Power 5 this season with wins over Notre Dame, Kansas, and Wake Forest over the first two weekends of play.
- WKU are now 11-19 all-time against a top 25 team, including a 10-11 mark since the start of the 2012 campaign following their opening day win at No.25 in Our Lady.
- WKU’s home opener against Belmont has been postponed due to positive cases of COVID-19 within the Belmont program. A makeup day has yet to be determined.